Bed Linen Care - make sure your bed linen lasts and looks as good as the day you bought it!
There are some simple ways to ensure correct bed linen care to extend the life of your bedding. Launder bed linen with confidence and the care takes care of itself.
Selecting the proper washing agent is important. Many detergents today contain optical whitening agents that work well on white linens. These are not recommended for coloured linens. Discolouring and spotting may result from it.
When washing colours, check that your detergent does not have whitening agents. If it does choose a soap powder. In hard water areas, use a fabric conditioner, especially for darker colours.
General Bed Linen Care:
- Unfold your linens thoroughly before washing
- Do not overload the machine.
- Wash your linens at most in a 40°C (104°F) wash.
- Use a mild soap detergent and avoid chlorine bleach.
- If possible, line dry, it is best for linen and causes less damage to the material than tumble drying.
- If using a tumble dryer, use a medium or low heat. Do not over dry.
- Iron with steam on slightly damp linen (best approach is to iron on the inside of the fabric).
For stain removal, try the following to remove stains from your linen:
Ink: soak in milk, or in soap-and-ammonia mixture, and rub the spot.
Blood: rinse immediately in cold water.
Fruit, coffee, tea, and chocolate: rub with alcohol, white vinegar, and ammonia.
Candle wax: scratch off the dried wax, absorb residue with blotting paper (or a sturdy kitchen towel) and a warm iron.
Greasy Stains: rub with ammonia.
Red Wine: rub immediately with sparkling water or white wine.
If stains do not disappear, try:
Soaking the linen in a good washing detergent, or dissolving 100g of borax substitute in hot water, then adding enough cold water to make 5 litres and let soak for 1 hour.
Never use chlorine bleach which may damage the fibres.
Or try a traditional stain removal remedy: spread the linen out in a sunny back yard for a few days! (which might not be an option for most of you).
The tips above do not only apply to bed linen care. The same techniques apply to your table linen as well.
Download our quick care guide here: Bed-Linen-Care-Infographic